Erectile dysfunction is a common sexual frustration among men. It’s occurrence is more common among men above the age of 50, but all age groups are affected. There are many causes of erectile dysfunction as well. Anything from unhealthy habits to serious health problems can cause erectile dysfunction. This is why it’s important to work with your doctor to find a treatment plan that best suits you.
The first step in treating your erectile dysfunction, is pinpointing where your symptoms are coming from. For example, if the symptoms are stress-induced or caused by obesity, treatment options will differ. Sometimes, reversing erectile dysfunction can be as simple as quitting any unhealthy habits such as excessive alcohol consumption or cigarettes. Once you have determined the underlying cause, it’s time to explore a treatment plan that best fits your needs.
Many treatment options are available for erectile dysfunction. Compiled here are several categories of treatments including medications, herbs/supplements and stress-reducing exercises.
Many medications exist for the sole purpose of treating erectile dysfunction. These medications can range from pills, to drugs inserted into the tip of the penis, or even injections in the penis itself. Oftentimes, doctors will first prescribe a pill designed to alleviate symptoms. Some of the most commonly prescribed pills are:
- Stendra – Relaxes muscles found in the walls of blood vessels, as well as stimulates blood flow to certain areas of the body
- Viagra – Stimulates blood flow to the penis
- Levitra – Stimulates blood flow to the penis
- Cialis – Relaxes the smooth muscle found in the prostate and bladder, as well as stimulates blood flow to the penis
- Kamagra – OTC (can be bought on online pharmacies), increases sensitivity of the genital region, as well as stimulates blood flow to the penis
Along with medications, many patients find that there are a variety of natural herbs and supplements that help reverse erectile dysfunction. Popular natural remedies include:
- Panax ginseng (red ginseng) – This herb is known to have anti-inflammatory properties, improve lung function, and improve blood flow.
- DHEA – This hormone is naturally produced by your adrenal glands. Many studies have showed that men with erectile dysfunction often have low levels of DHEA, hence the need for a supplement.
- L-arginine – An amino acid naturally occurring in the human body that helps to produce nitric oxide, which is known to relax blood vessels, thereby stimulating blood flow.
If the aforementioned treatment options don’t interest you, or haven’t worked, consider the following options:
- Yoga – An exercise that relaxes the body and mind, as well as improves cardiovascular health, which can in turn improve erectile dysfunction
- Acupuncture – A semi-controversial approach, mostly in that more studies need to be conducted in order for evidence to be substantial. One study did find that acupuncture improved erectile dysfunction in 39 percent of participants.
- Exercise/Diet change – Oftentimes erectile dysfunction can be caused by unhealthy eating habits and/lack of exercise. Increasing how often you exercise as well as introducing healthier eating habits can reverse erectile dysfunction.
These are just a few of the available treatment options for erectile dysfunction. Remember, you are not alone. Talk with your doctor about a treatment plan today.