Premature ejaculation is a type of sexual dysfunction that can unfavorably impact the quality of a man’s sex life. This is a condition when an orgasm or “climax” occurs quicker than anticipated. There may sometimes be problems related to reproduction, but premature ejaculation (PE) can also negatively influence sexual satisfaction, both for men and their partners. Although PE is rarely due to a medical condition, this condition requires doctor’s attention to rule this out. PE could contribute to secondary symptoms such as embarrassment, anxiety and depression.
This problem is not uncommon. It is estimated that about 30% of all men will experience it at some point of their lives, whether for a short or long duration. PE is often diagnosed when sexual intercourse lasts less than 4 minutes but more commonly during 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Regardless of the different spectrums men fall into, they look for methods or remedies to improve this state of affairs.
There are several methods to overcome premature ejaculation, as the following:
- Medication: Anti-depressants such as rapid-acting SSRI could be a help in premature ejaculation. However, similar to other drugs, antidepressants do have some side effects such as nausea, diarrhea, dizziness and headache. Topical medications such as local anaesthetic creams reduce stimulation. Lidocaine or prilocaine could prolong the time before ejaculation. However, numbness and loss of erection are common side effects of the topical drugs.
- The start-and-stop method: This method could help in bettering a man’s control over ejaculation. Hence, it lengthens the time before the need to ejaculate is felt.
- The squeeze method: This method works by interrupting blood flow when the ejaculatory response is felt, by gently squeezing the area under the head of the penis and where the shaft of the penis starts. This could be done for 30 seconds before resuming intercourse.
- Exercise: Kegel exercises aims to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles which can help to improve premature ejaculation. There are also physical therapies such as electrostimulation and biofeedback that could be an aid in this condition. Breaking the stream of urine midway may improve urethral resistance. This helps to overcome premature ejaculation.
- Use specialized condoms: These specialized condoms reduces penile stimulation and therefore, decreases the incidence of premature ejaculation.
- Practice meditation: As anxiety or stress could be a cause of premature ejaculation, meditation could aid in improving the quality of a man’s life besides improving control of sexual pleasure by bettering testosterone levels.
- Reduce your intensity: The faster a man’s thrusts and intensity, the faster he is likely to ejaculate. Hence, it is important to reduce the intensity to enjoy the sexual pleasure.
Premature ejaculation is rarely due to a medical condition. Most often it lies in the mind of men who experience this condition. It could be either existing as a mental block or simple performance anxiety. Hence, most of the methods to overcome this condition require mind conditioning with an outcome of controlling sexual stimulation and subsequent ejaculation. Desensitizing products may produce a temporary result. It is important to consult an urologist for specialist advice in order to determine a method or technique that could produce a significant result in overcoming premature ejaculation. If you or your male partner is experiencing premature ejaculation, please consult a doctor for treatment of premature ejaculation.