Human body requires external maintenance to maintain its flexibility from time to time and osteopathy is one of the most natural treatments to help restore muscular and nervous balance in the body. Whether it’s adults or infants and children, it’s a safe technique that, when done by certified osteopaths, is essential for the betterment of the body in the following ways.
- It increases the flexibility and mobility of the body.
- It improves different kinds of muscular pains and spasms.
- It reduces muscular and nervous tension that, in turn, helps in reducing headaches and migraine.
- It eases and relaxes stiff joints.
- It is also a wonderful therapy to treat digestive troubles.
When talking about infants, though, it requires light and gentle movements only. Skilled and certified osteopaths at clinics like the Integral Performance Physio osteopathy are experienced and highly aware about the accurate positions to hold the baby’s head or support their spine while gently massaging the concerned areas to improve certain conditions.
The most frequent infancy conditions that are treated via osteopathy include the following 2 that you must know about as a parent.
Also known as stiff neck, torticollis is a painful condition that leads to stiffness in the neck muscles after sleeping. When talking about infants, it mostly is a result of:
- The child’s position in the womb.
- Difficult childbirth and/or prolonged labor.
When the baby suffers from this specific muscular tension that leads to a tilted head position, it disturbs the sleep pattern and is unsettling in general as well since the infant finds it painful to move the neck. This is where osteopathy can help in improving the condition in the following ways.
- It helps in repositioning the neck to a large extent.
- Gentle compressions ease the muscular tension.
- It also relaxes the nerves around the neck that reduces stiffness and increases the blood flow.
- Recurring Ear Infections
Recurrent ear infection affects infants as much as it affects adults. Ear infection, in general, blocks the Eustachian tube in the middle ear that causes a lot of pain since it exerts excessive pressure around the eardrums and the back of the external ear. Some of the most common conditions that causes ear infection in infants could be:
- Horizontal positioning of the Eustachian tube.
- The ear being pulled sharply during childbirth.
Whatever the case, osteopathy helps in reducing the pain to a very large extent.
However, remember that osteopathy is the science of reducing pain and stress. It cannot help in the detection of the actual problem. So, always remember to consult a paediatrician to find out what’s troubling your baby.
To sum up, osteopathy is an ideal method to treat infants suffering from different painful conditions in the most natural way possible.