Neurotransmitters are a kind of chemical messengers that convey signals from one neuron to another. GABA and Glutamate are neurotransmitters available in your central nervous system, especially in cerebral cortex or brain. Brain is the station, where thinking occurs and sensations get interpreted.
Role of naturally produced GABA in brain
GABA is produced in your brain cells from another amino acid Glutamate. It is an inhibitory (slow down) kind of neurotransmitter that blocks nerve impulses. When Glutamate (excitatory neurotransmitter) binds with neighboring cells, it persuades them to fire a nerve impulse. On the contrary, GABA prevents the adjacent cells from sending an impulse.
GABA deficiency makes the nerve cells to fire often. This results in anxiety disorders like panic attacks, cognitive impairment, headaches, seizure disorders, sleep disorders and more.
To increase GABA levels people take supplements, but are unaware that it is unable to get through BBB to enhance brain functions. On the other hand, there are anecdotal reports, which support GABA supplements as a helpful tool for people seeking relief from symptoms that can result in depression, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, and ADHD.
Users report of GABA benefits
- Vital for proper brain performance
- A natural soothing agent
- Used as an anti-epileptic
- Helps to make endorphins and feel happy
- Produces sense of tranquility
- Depressive symptoms lessen
- Sleep disruption can cease entirely
- ADD or ADHD symptoms may get lessened
- Helps focus and concentration ability
- Aids fat loss
- Increases HGH
Does GABA supplement truly work?
In spite of anecdotal reports and manufacturers claim, scientists believe that GABA supplement does not get within the brains. This means, you will not be able to gain from supplementation.
BBB is biological firewall between brain blood circulation and general body blood circulation. Many drugs and chemicals are averted by the firewall therefore GABA supplements cannot reach your brain.
Why take GABA Supplements?
People insist on buying GABA supplements claiming that its tranquilizing activity is helpful.
- The first theory is related with people’s belief that GABA pills can calm them actually affects their psychological aspect making them feel better.
- Second assumption may be that a little percentage penetrates the BBB making people feel calm and relaxed. It has not been proved, yet.
For anxiety GABA dosage of 500 – 1000 mg is recommended for relaxation. The overall effect depends on supplement potency. GABA is safe for short term usage, but in case, you feel sedated then vary the dosage level.